The Pediatric Unit of SECI receives about 150 new cases each year, referred from whole Upper Egypt, together with about 200 ongoing children.
- We serve mainly Assiut (3 million inhabitants) as well as Sohage, Qena, Aswan, the New Valley and The Red Sea governorates.
- We offer state of art treatment and diagnosis to children with cancer, according to protocols approved by international pediatric cancer groups.
- We also offer supportive, social and psychological care to children with cancer by some recreational activities.
- Treatment decisions are made by an oncology committee and with the aid of other departments as surgical and radiation oncology in SECI.
- The service in the pediatric unit is offered by well trained staff of: 2 professors (part time), a full time team of 5 assistant lecturers, 1 demonstrator, 4 residents and 13 nurses.
- The unit contains 50 inpatient beds, the percentage of occupancy is 50-60% in most of the times.
- The unit also has an outpatient facility (twice weekly) serves about 60 patients per week, offering them chemotherapy, supportive care, as well as minor procedures as bone marrow aspirates and biopsies.