Education and Student Affairs
The academic year begins annually on the third Saturday of September to continue for thirty weeks, and mid-year vacation for two weeks, according to the date determined by the University Council. The University Council has the right to determine the start or end of the study otherwise before or after the dates mentioned according to the common interest.
Study in the colleges of University of Assiut and the New Valley branch is based on the basis of two semesters starting from the academic year 93/1994 with the exception of the Faculty of Medicine where the study is based on the full year .
Students applying for admission should meet the following requirements:
- As defined by the Law, applicants must have an academic qualification required for university Admission (General Secondary Schools Certificate or its equivalent).
- Submit to medical exams to prove that the applicant is free of infectious diseases and valid for following up the study of the courses offered and defined by the rules of the Supreme Council of Universities and the Councils of the Faculties concerned.
- Good reputation and moral conduct.
- Payment of the required fees.
- Nomination by the Office for the Coordination of admission to universities.
Transfer to and from the university
The student may be transferred to or from a college in the university to another equivalent college in another university with the consent of both Faculties’ Councils according to the laws .
The applicant’s request of the transfer should be applied before the beginning of the academic year to the university he/she wishes to transfer and through the Central Transfer Office of the University .
However, in some cases, Transfer Requests may be accepted after this date by the approval of the Council of the Faculty the student wishes to transfer to .
College student file:
Each Faculty prepares a file for each student containing:
1 – All documents submitted for admission.
2 - Statement of the conditions of the student's tuition and history (and admission examinations, results and estimates).
3 - Statement of disciplinary penalties if there are any.
4 - Sports and social activity records.
After completion of the registration process, each student is given a photo ID signed by the Dean and stamped by the Faculty seal. The ID has a distinctive color varying from one faculty to another. In case of loss, the student may be given another card instead. The personal university ID must be submitted whenever required. Student are not allowed to attend classes and lectures or practical exercises or tests and examinations unless they carry their personal university IDs.
Student's follow-up of the study:
- Students must attend classes and participate in practical exercises or research according to the Rules set by the college bylaw and attain the attendance ratio.
- The Faculty Council, upon request of Department Councils concerned, has the power to prevent the student from applying to all or part of the exams in case of unsatisfactory attendance ratio.
- The Faculty Council may suspend the college Admission for two consecutive or separated years of study if the student provides an acceptable excuse from attendance in the study and if necessary, the Council may prolong the mentioned duration.
Calculation of the general Grade:
The overall assessment of student success for each year is calculated according to the estimates obtained, taking into account that courses in which the student has failed will only gain the grade of “pass” but if the student has been absent in that course with an acceptable excuse, and passes it later, he/she gets the grade of the score he/she gets.
It is estimated that students’ success in the exams each year is ranked by one of the following estimates:
Excellent – Very Good – Good – Pass
While, on the other hand, student's failure is estimated by one of the following estimates:
Weak - Very Weak
The calculation of the earlier Grades is done according to the system set by the internal bylaws of faculties.
If the exam in one of the courses includes writing practical parts, any absentee in the written exam is considered absent and no score should be recorded.
Estimates of a student’s success in the Bachelor's degree:
Under article No. 85 of the amended Bylaw, Presidential Decree No. 370 of 1989 indicates that student’s success is estimated by one of the following:
Excellent – Very Good – Good – Pass
The general Grade is calculated for all students at the Bachelor's stage according to the total scores obtained in all years of study, and students are ranked accordingly.
Obtaining Degree Certificates:
Successful students are given certificates indicating the academic degree granted after successful performance of duties and payment of required fees. The certificate is signed by the college dean and university president. Degrees and diplomas from the university are granted by the president's resolution after the approval of the University Council. However, until the main Certificate is issued, the student may obtain a temporary certificate signed by the Dean indicating the degree or diploma obtained.