Crisis and Disaster Unit
About the Unit
Currently, disasters and crises are frequent and current. We realized that the faculty has to be on guard to confront such issues. Therefore, it was necessary to set a prior plan to deal with different expected crises.
As consequence, this specialized unit was established to manage the disasters and crises in the faculty. It is an independent administrative unit which has its own responsibilities inside the administrative body. Moreover, the unit includes a special team to manage crises and disasters.
To create an effective internal system to provide security and safety in all the faculty’s buildings
To build a strong system to manage disasters and crises to provide security and safety, in search for societal stability.
- To provide security and welfare of both the employees and students.
- To work on stopping disasters.
- To secure the faculty buildings against arson, crises, and catastrophes.
- To investigate health and environmental requirements.
- To promote knowledge among staff and students and train them in an effective manner.
Organizational structure of the unit:
- The Management Board of the Unit, headed by the dean of the faculty, is responsible for the overall policy formulation of the Unit and for the implementation of plans.
- Coordinator-General of the department, undersecretary for public services and environment development is responsible for controlling and coordinating the activities of the unit and works with other units at the university and represents the unit in front of others.
- The head of the unit and shall be responsible for carrying out its activities, such as administrative review of written papers, meetings, and meeting documents, recording all communications received by the organization. It was sent to the general response manager of the unit and suggested with folders and instructions.
Composition of the governing council of the unit
- Dean of the faculty - chairman of the board
- Secretary for community service and environmental development / vice-presidents of the Governing Council
- Director of Unit - Coordinator of unit
- Heads of department - members
- Manger of the units
- Director of college security-member
- The Civil Defense Officer of the college-member
- Member of the medical clinic
- Secretary of the college student union-member
Roles and Functions of the unit:
The role of the unit can be divided into three stages, according to For the National Crisis Management System, following the crises management stages:
Pre-crisis /emergencey/ disaster event:
- Planning (forecasting) for emergencies and possible disasters in the short /medium /long term.
- Preparing of crisis management and emergency response plans and scenarios.
- Taking proactive steps to prevent / stabilize a crisis or disaster.
- Getting ready to deal with incidents such as recruiting personnel and equipment repairs.
- Holding cultural understanding, emergency management, crisis management and training workshops to increase the productivity of workers in this sector.
- Improving monitoring and early warning systems for crisis and disaster management if possible.
- The Crisis and Emergency Management Operations Room is fitted with sufficient communication equipment.
Second Phase: confrontation, response, and containment:
- Offering organized and qualified execution of strategies and scenarios.
- Conducting all kinds of conflict and relief in conjunction with the nature of crisis or disaster.
- Ensuring that urgent emergency services are working.
- Carrying out evacuations, if necessary.
- Keeping track of changes and observations in the situation and determines the steps required to deal with it through the operating room.
Third Phase: Re-balancing (post-crisis):
- Dealing with the loss of employees and services.
- Rehabilitating and restoration (reset phase) and security from possible future threats.
- Evaluating the steps taken to resolve the catastrophe during the process of conflict, reaction, containment and lessons learned.
- Supervising the event and providing the requisite advice and suggestions, and guiding them to the authorities concerned to take advantage of them in order to prevent a detrimental future (if any) and to create and amend plans in line with developments in order to best handle them.
For more details regarding the Crisis and Disaster Unit, please visit this link